I had to drill pilot holes and everything.
Here is the finished frame. I carried it out to a sunny spot on the back part of our yard. Then, I started hauling dirt. That was the hardest part.
Before adding the dirt, I layered the bottom with newspaper. We live in an unfinished subdivision so I just went across the street and dug up the dirt. I had to fill up about 10 wheel barrows full of the dirt. Dirt is heavy. Did you know that?
Our dirt is very clay-like around here, so I knew I had to doctor it up. I added peat moss because it's great for retaining moisture. After I did that, I was done for the day. I was pooped. Speaking of poop...
We needed to add fertilizer! On Sunday, the family was back together, and I decided that the garden needed to be a family project. So, we all went to our local hardware store and bought 2 bags of manure. The kids were very grossed out by the thought of this, but we told them not to worry. We added the manure and everyone took a turn mixing our soil.
Then, it was time to plant the seeds. The kids picked out the vegetables they wanted to plant. We took the seed packets and stapled them to the outside of the frame right next to the planted seeds, so we would know what they were. The boys enjoyed using the staplegun (insert growling and other manly sounds here).
Our last step was to water. Of course, everyone had a turn.
Here's me with our garden. I hope something comes up...
How exciting!!!
ReplyDelete