DH and I participated in the Illinois Marathon in Champaign-Urbana on April 11. We ran the half marathon which is 13.1 miles. That's a long run! We started our training in January, building up every week on our long runs. I'm not going to lie. It was HARD. DH's time was 2:26. Mine was 2:34:34.
The course started at the Assembly Hall and wove through the U of I campus and back to Memorial Stadium. The 50 yard line was the finishing line. That was pretty cool. One of my favorite moments of the race was when I saw my family on Mile 8. It really revived me. My nephew said "Don't stop! Keep running!" I said, "I need hugs!!!" Another great thing were all of the spectators. They lined all of the half marathon sidelines, and everyone was cheering. That really helped. I didn't even listen to my mp3 player. I just wanted to hear the cheers.
I have to admit that the pain of running 13 miles is a bit like child birth pains. While you're in the throes of the pain, you're thinking that you will NEVER do this again. But now, a few days out, the memories of the pain and fatigue are fading. The soreness and energy level are better every day. I am pondering. How can I run a better time on my next half marathon? Will I run the same half or try to find another? Will my toenails turn back to their normal color? Am I legally insane?
I'm proud of you! But ewww.... your toenails turn different colors??? :)
ReplyDelete